A Carpenter’s Journal

November 18, 2012

Finishing Touches

Filed under: Architecture,Bathrooms,Job Progress — Fran Maloney @ 11:51 am

Finally the plumbing fixtures and the shower doors are installed. We are just about finished

Frameless glass enclosure for shower.

November 6, 2012

Tiled Shower

Filed under: Job Progress — Fran Maloney @ 9:56 pm

Working in the same 1808 cape, now with the walls insulated and sheetrocked, and durock on the shower walls,  I built up the curb to the shower with 3 2x4s stacked together and covered with durock.  The tops of the curbs tilt slightly into the shower.  The walls and ceiling of the shower are white ceramic subway tiles with nautical decorative tiles in one row at eye level.  The floor is pebbles.  The pebbles are cemented with thinset mortar to a bed of sand mix mortar placed over a vinyl shower pan, over 5/8″plywood underlayment pitched with shingles to drain any water that penetrates the grout into the weep holes in the side of the drain.

Bathroom Remodel in an Antique Cape

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This job was in an old cape in Duxbury built in 1808.  It was post and beam framed.  The beams and posts were some kind of hardwood which I could not identify, very hard and reddish in color,  with marks of the adze visible.  In another old cape we remodeled here I found a King George III coin which I gave to the owners.  While pulling the ceiling down here, along with squirrels nests, blown in insulation, wood lath, horsehair plaster and 200 years of dirt swept through the cracks of the floor boards. There was one artifact, a piece of an old slingshot.  It had a very old type of cord woven from hemp.

The waste pipe from the upstairs bathroom had been leaking and the main beam it passed by and the outside sill adjacent to it were wet and mouldy but still structurally sound.  There were some other beams that were rotten but the rot looked old and not due to this leak.  The beam in the middle of the house and its intersecting beam had sagged considerably over the years relative to the perimeter built on stone.  The result was that the floor was out of level by about 2 inches in 7 feet.  I ended up rebuilding the floor by adding joists 16 oc between the beams and placing floor jacks on blocks under the sags and partially lifting the sag out of the beams.  I also used the new joists and subfloor to cheat the new floor much closer to level.

 

 

Powered by WordPress