A Carpenter’s Journal

January 22, 2012

Woven Valleys

Filed under: Job Progress,Materials — Fran Maloney @ 11:30 am

This house in Hingham has a multitude of intersecting rooves all with woven valleys.  I am stripping and re-roofing about 12 square of 18″ red cedar perfections.  The weather has been good until now for roofing, although a bit cold.  I am hoping the snow melts off the next section before tomorrow.

December 2, 2011

Victorian Porch

Filed under: Architecture,Job Progress,Materials,Trimwork — Tags: — Fran Maloney @ 9:43 am

This is a porch we did about 8 years ago. The decorative parts including the railings and posts were custom made from cypess with the intention of having it last forever. It is on the north side of the house and is always damp. Everything was sealed on all sides before installation. There must have been a bad lot of cypress in the mix because after only 5 or 6 years the parts on shadiest part of the porch began to rot. This picture is of the repairs we are making.

August 27, 2011

Marble Floor

Filed under: Job Progress — Tags: , — Fran Maloney @ 12:21 pm

Here are two pictures of a marble floor I did several years ago.

August 18, 2011

Tile Surround

Filed under: Bathrooms,Job Progress,Materials — Tags: — Fran Maloney @ 5:44 am

After finishing the dormers in Hingham, I moved on by myself to tile a couple of bathrooms.  Here are some pictures of one of them.

July 17, 2011

Weathertight

Filed under: Job Progress — Fran Maloney @ 7:39 am

We had to work into the weekend but the outside is done.

Front Side Finished

July 9, 2011

End of Week 2

Filed under: Job Progress — Fran Maloney @ 9:29 pm

Courtyard View, End of Second Week

Front withWindow Wells

The week of the fourth of July we began framing the partitions and ceiling inside and cut the window wells on the front of the house.  Lilly Roofing finished the rooves in the  front.  One more week and it should be weather-tight.

July 4, 2011

Dormers Continued

Filed under: Architecture,Job Progress — Fran Maloney @ 11:07 am

Friday 6pm

We had everthing covered up by the end of the week.  The roof will be done next week, along with the outside trim and most of the windows.  The front windows need to have window wells cut into the old roof in front of them.

Friday, July 1 2011Friday 6pm

July 2, 2011

Nantucket Dormers

Filed under: Architecture,Job Progress — Tags: — Fran Maloney @ 6:01 am

Mike Was Mad

Thank God for Blue Skies

We had a long week tearing open the roof of a beautiful house in Hingham and managing to get it mostly buttoned up by the holiday weekend.  We took a connecting attic space and framed double A-frame dormers with connecting shed dormers on either side.  The framing was quite complicated because all the roof lines and wall lines had to line up in the right spots, it was anything but a standard roof frame.  Lilly Roofing from Marshfield took over the red cedar roofing portion of the job as Mike and I were a little short handed for this job.

June 12, 2011

Mahogany Deck

Filed under: Job Progress — Tags: , , , — admin @ 8:35 am

Landing Mahogany Railing SystemMahogany Railing System

This is a mahogany deck we just completed in Duxbury.  The trim is pvc, the framing is pressure treated, the decking is mahogany that has  been pre-finished with Australian Timber Oil.  The hand rails and posts are also mahogany, the hand rail and balusters are pre-manufactured, the shoe rail is made from a 2×4 mahogany piece with a half inch ripped off and used for a bottom cleat for the balusters.  The footings now have to be bell shaped and everything bolted together because we are in a high wind zone.

May 8, 2011

New Roof

Filed under: Job Progress — Tags: — Fran Maloney @ 1:49 pm

We just finished this roof.  We used Certainteed Landmark asphalt shingles.  The chimney had been leaking badly but everything was dry under the flashing. The water was definitely coming in through the mortar joints and inside the chimney at the joints in the flue pipe.  There was moss growing inside and out which is a good indicator of compromised mortar.  What makes it especially difficult is that the chimney has been corbeled inside the attic so that any water that gets into the brick drips directly down into the ceiling.  We siliconed both chimneys but it probably will take more than that to stop the leak, perhaps a cap or an elastomeric coating on  the top.

B. Wheeler and I installed the columns and the trim on the pediment almost 25 years ago.

 

« Newer PostsOlder Posts »

Powered by WordPress